Here are my thoughts on the subject
What a sobering thought knowing that most of the people you’ve built such strong relationships with during the past thirteen odd years (depending on what age you began school) won’t be in your life after you walk across the stage with a diploma in hand and the world at your fingertips. Due to my immaturity on the subject, I don’t want to accept that fact; nobody does. For me I don’t start a conversation as so…
“Hi, I’m Holly and I don’t want to get to know you because I won’t ever see you again after this chapter of our lives is over.”
Other person, “Uh.”
“…people come into our lives to serve a purpose and those purposes can be many and varied.” –Selena J
And for that statement, I want to get to know the person by means of who they are, not putting up a wall because I’m not sure how long I’ll be there. There are multiple possibilities as to why people don’t get to know others. The biggest:
Fear
- Probably the single most leading factor as to why people don’t form a relationship. It’s the fear of the unknown, the truth, and discovery. When a relationship is built, you not only learn about characteristics of the other person, you learn about yourself.
Pride also, I’d say, somewhat has a part in it. Mentality of, “I don’t need to talk to them. I’m doing fine alone. Why should I deal with their issues when I have my own?” Is that how cynical and selfish the world has become?
Becoming a Christian is somewhat the same. After you’ve heard the “Give your life to Jesus” sermon, there’s the conversation.
“Hi, I’m Holly and I’m gonna ask you into my heart. Then in a few weeks, days, months, maybe a year, I’ll forget about you. I’m too okay with the norm to get to know you.”
Blessed are those that this never happens to. If envying people were possible in a Christian, I’d envy those fortunate enough to keep the fire, although, I was not one. I got baptized and asked Jesus into my heart because…well, it was the thing to do. My reasoning behind it wasn’t because I loved God. I was told I did and He loved me but I hadn’t nearly come close to the realization of the fullness. And by no means did I want to get to know him.
“But he will say to you, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Go away from me, all you who do evil!’”
-Luke 13:27
How many times do you pass people in the hallway that have gone to your school for as long as you can remember but you truly know nothing about them?
How many times have you had the opportunity to grow closer to a God that already knows you inside and out but passed it up?