The
Mondays
In the past, Monday was never an awful day for me. It
wasn’t horrendous or dreaded, and I never understood why people posted numerous
hate statuses and tweets towards a day of the week. Why was Monday such a
terrible day? It’s mostly the same as every other day…or so I thought. Most
people who experience such Mondays have a particular person they’d love to give
a smack in the face. Aren’t you aware of the person that is put together,
positive, and ready for the day’s trials? I was that person. I had no reason to
hate Monday…until September 26, 2011. I should have seen it coming I do
suppose… The Mondays hit me hard.
What a prominent disease in today’s population! After a
weekend has passed, the buzzing of the alarm resonates exponentially louder
than each other day. The snooze button is now the best friend as it is pushed
consistently until the last minute your brain says, “School is in fifteen
minutes. Get up!” Although the mind is fully aware, every other fiber in one’s
being is avoiding it. The symptoms of The Mondays are varied throughout the population.
As for high school or college, the symptoms in girls range from sweats, hair
pulled up, and no makeup; to normal clothing style, hair pulled up, and still
no makeup. There are severe cases and mild cases. It just depends on how hard
The Mondays hit you. Now that I’ve got you caught up, here’s my case.
Just to clear a few things up, I love music. It’s a big
part of my life but hearing it the first thing Monday morning made me edgy and
irritated. As soon as Owl City began to play the synth, I was upset. In my mind
I was thinking, ‘It can’t possibly be time to get up yet.’ It was my alarm and
I did proceed to press snooze at least seven times. I didn’t want to accept the
fact that it had happened. I was caught in the web of disease with no way to
escape it. I knew I was off.
As I put on basketball shorts and a t-shirt, I
didn’t have the urge to do up my hair or put on any makeup. For some that may
be an everyday fashion trend, but for those who know anything about me, I jazz
it up big time. I didn’t have any motivation to make myself up. I unfortunately
had caught the disease; the disease I’d pled immunity to for years. I had a
mild case of The Mondays.
Update: I made it through that mild
case. If you’re one of the fortunate ones who have yet to experience this
disease, I bid thee good luck! I thought I’d escaped it also. If ever one close
to you is going through a case of The Mondays, comfort them and do what they
say. Even if they tell you to leave them alone, do so. The Mondays do have the
ability to become severe if not taken care of properly. Don’t worry though,
this too shall pass.