I bought the tickets online for The Dark Knight Rises: The IMAX Experience at 2:30 on July 20th at Warren Theater in Moore, Oklahoma. On the drive down to Oklahoma City, Bailey Ross tweeted this.
I unknowingly replied, "What happened?" Then the farther I got into Oklahoma City, the more tweets arose about a shooting in Aurora, Colorado. I decided to get on Yahoo! News and get the real scoop on what was happening. I read about the story. (If you haven't heard of it, google it. It's everywhere.) Not only did my heart ache for those shot, injured, or killed, but it ached that our safety is so limited in a free country. We had a woman come to our church to speak and something she said radiated in my head. It's been bouncing back and forth inside since the words fell off of her lips...
"We aren't truly safe anywhere anymore."
And the scariest thing about her statement, she's correct. Practically anyone can go in to a store, buy a gun, and use it. We aren't safe in schools, universities, churches, restaurants, movie theaters, malls, stores, etc...
I'm not by any means trying to scare anyone but the fact that I felt more unsafe in a movie theater than an international airport sickens me. As I sat in the theater, people continued to fill in. All that was on my mind was to be sure to notice anything out of the ordinary. For the first thirty minutes or so during the movie, I was paranoid; preparing my exit out of the theater. Finally, I settled down but it was just such an eerie, paranoid feeling I was encompassing in my being. Seriously, I have the Holy Spirit inside of me and I let something as small as fear overcome me. How ignorant!
Back to the movie...
Each time Batman faced Bane, Bane practically kicked his butt. I was disappointed each time. Thinking, "Batman is a wimp now? Surely they can't end it like this... How embarrassing. Why isn't he standing up for defense more?!" Catwoman even saved him in the end. Seriously? What's this? I mean, go woman! but...Batman is the superhero. Yet, Batman is human. He struggles with trials that come against him and he falls down. He fails. I fail. You fail. As the city fell in to the control of Bane, Batman strengthened back up to rescue Gotham. Before the final battle, Catwoman tried to get Batman to leave.
"Come with me. You don't owe these people anything." -Catwoman
Jesus didn't owe us anything either. But, He still sacrificed everything for us.
In the ending, Batman takes the bomb out onto the bay and it explodes.
WHAT!!!
I was so hurt, mad, offended, confused, numb. I was offended that he left and this is just a movie. Batman isn't real; I didn't have a personal relationship with him. I never talked to him face to face. The twelve disciples walked, talked, prayed, laughed, cried, and touched Jesus. They knew him. They had a personal relationship with him. How on earth do you think they felt when he left them? When he died? They were human so I'm sure they felt the same emotions on overdrive. But he came back from the dead and proceeded to ascend to the heavens with the best promise I've ever imagined.
"I am going away and coming back for you."
It's the reason that I'm living. The bridegroom is coming back for his bride. This is a preparation for a wedding that will last forever. The invitations are always being sent and when RSVP's are made, the names are written on the permanent guest list. Our hearts being draw back to our first love daily. Evidence of His works each day. (The Holy Spirit brings all things to our remembrance. John 14:26) The works will be completed! (He who started a work in you will be faithful to complete it. Philippians 1:6)
Planning a wedding isn't easy; people want to do it their way. Living in the world isn't easy; humans want to do it their way. When things go as they are supposed to, the planner is praised. When life goes as it is supposed to, God is praised. What happens when the wedding plans don't work? Fingers get pointed, blame gets pushed out, and exile, bitterness, jealousy, hurt, and negativity take over. What happens when life doesn't work? The exact same things try to push up in our minds. But when everything is planned, the bride walks down the aisle in sparkling white. All the past accusers are gone. The groom is ready for His bride. It doesn't matter what happened in planning, it's all been forgotten...
I have a shocking truth.
Jesus did not die so we could worship our hearts out on Sundays and bring shame to His creation the rest of the week.
Every yes is a yes. Every no is a no.
You have said yes to Him but can't undergo respecting authority?
You have said yes to Him but you still disobey your parents?
You have said yes to Him but you still gossip about your best friend?
You have said yes to Him but you still watch pornography?
You have said yes to Him but you still go too far with your girlfriend/boyfriend?
You have said yes to Him but you're still self destructing?
You have said yes to Him but you aren't walking in your calling?
Congratulations, you're human. He still loves you. You've messed up? Repentance is your best friend. Once you've repented, change must happen. Otherwise, you are just saying "I'm sorry. It won't happen again," walking out and it's as if you never said anything at all. Then, when he comes back, and you go up to the gates...
"What sin? You are clean. Shiny. Bright. White. It's white as snow. Well done good and faithful servant. This one... she is Mine."
The movie ended with Alfred going to Florence and looking out. There at a table was Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. He didn't come back from the dead; he defeated death...by fixing autopilot. Jesus defeated death by conquering it. Simple parallelism for you to munch on.
