Sunday, June 24, 2012

Midsummer's Eve

The tradition of Midsummer's Eve was an official holiday until 1770. There were many traditions but now it mainly consists of a bonfire and songs.  In the 1920s a tradition of putting a witch made of straw and cloth on the bonfire emerged as a remembrance of the church's witch burnings from 1540 to 1693. That was exactly what I partook in last night.


         Michael's parents (Tina's friend) served us dinner which was really good. I enjoy dinner parties very much! After we'd eaten, socialized, and had our fill of Cola, they went to light the bonfire. A Danish politician spoke and they sang a song. They lit the fire and Nanna and I went back inside because it began to rain again







After we left, Michael came to Nanna's house and we stayed up talking music, playing music, and exchanging music. It was a wonderful time!