As previously mentioned, I'm a student at ACM@UCO. We've had our first two shows and it's been real. If you had told me I'd be performing on a stage, I would've laughed in your face. Not only have we performed, I've sang a song in each set. Me? Singing? Alone? Yes, I am. I've sound checked, learned harmonies, learned rhythm counting, and learned how to perform. They're all still a work in progress but I'm getting there.
This is why we can't have class together
My classes consist of Repertoire Development, Live Performance, Beginning Keyboarding, and Vocal Lesson. In the first two, we practice our set lists for performances. Beginning keyboarding is self explanatory. It's teaching me how little I really know. Vocal lesson has been the most challenging of all my classes so far. I've been working on breathing techniques and how to be louder vocally without damage. It's much harder to sing correctly than I was ever aware of. P.S. the guy behind me is our instructor, Than Medlam. He's a rad human being.
Our first set was 90s and 00s rock. As a group, we suggest songs and then vote on our favorites. For this set, we did Them Bones by Alice in Chains, Cornflake Girl by Tori Amos, Spiderwebs by No Doubt, Iris by Goo Goo Dolls, and Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. I think my band would agree with me when I say this set was out of our comfort zones. We got used to the stage after that set and were ready to go with our 80s to 90s country set. It was so much fun and a blast to learn even though country isn't my favorite genre. For this set we did Strawberry Wine by Deana Carter, 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton, Neon Moon by Brookes and Dunn, Fancy by Reba McEntire, and Man! I Feel Like a Woman! Once again, I was out of my comfort zone by singing Shania but I got over myself and sang it. According to Cody, it was good. I guess I'll accept his judgement. I was surprised by a longtime friend from high school at my show too which was great! Thanks for dropping in, Kaitlin!
These people are way too cool and I had such a fun time. ACM is something different but it's something remarkable. It's pushing me in ways I didn't know I needed to be pushed. I'm glad Cody said, "You should do it too". I'm stoked for next semester!
Until next time,
Holly Joy
