Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Feeling Unsettled in a "Settled" Place

Have you ever felt like you need to change something but can't figure out what it is?
Do you ever feel like the world is moving around you & you're standing completely still?

I have these feelings every now and again, and usually when they hit, I instantly want to change something about my physical appearance - usually the hair suffers.

There are a multitude of things that make me feel this way: movies, music, people, and weather.

At times, I get a fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach, and it makes me super-conscious of everything happening at that moment.

I get really stuck in the idea of "Am I living life to the fullest? Am I being all that I could be? Am I reaching my full potential? Am I seeking my passion?"


(an actual depiction of my brain via @indg0 on Instagram)


Let me be completely honest, I truly have a distaste for the words "purpose" and "passion". They give a false sense of an end goal with complete fulfillment. I know for a fact there will be days that I don't love everything about what I do day to day; I'm at least that self-aware. I really want to be the one who says "you should be excited to wake up and go to your job every morning", but in reality, I know myself well enough to know I am not going to want to get out of the comfort of my bed to go to work every day.


And that's okay.

The pressure for everything being completely great all the time is overrated, and I don't think people recognize that enough.

I'm not saying that those feelings of being uncomfortable, unhappy, or undecided are not valid or real, but having a weird day is not a need to change your path.

Sometimes the future is terrifying and unsettling, but I'm learning to embrace that.

I'm going to do things that make me happy when I'm feeling unsettled.

If I want to cut my hair, I'm going to do it.
If I want to take a spontaneous trip somewhere, I will.
If I just want to go walk around Whole Foods, I'm going to do that.

Days are too short to spend them worrying about what's to come.
It's fine to live in the middle and feel uneasy; accept it and keep moving forward even when it seems really hard to do.

Until next time,
Holly Joy