Saturday, June 1, 2013

It's June Already?


I'm completely obsessed (once again) with Vocal Few's newest EP. It's called Tall Trees and if you click here you can experience the happiness of what I'm experiencing also. They have a video of their story too that is definitely worth watching. If you'd like to watch this video, here's the link.


On another note, I've been busy working two jobs! I'm training at our local gas station, Quickee. It's one of 5 in town. I wasn't sure how I'd like it but the fact that most people that come in know who I am is a very uplifting feeling. It's quite a fun job. It amazes me that my main goal was to get out of Tonkawa, Oklahoma but the longer I'm staying the longer I'm falling in love with my hometown. I know once I do leave I'll miss it when I'm gone. It will always be my home. To this day, it's the only place I know as home. I've grown up here.  


Changing to a topic of small talk, the weather outside is warm in a lovely way; it reminds me of Denmark. When it rained, it would turn warm without humidity. Oklahoma does not do the same thing. I wish more than anything that it did. It's hard to tell whether or not a storm will become severe when the clouds start brewing. There really was never a doubt in Denmark; it was a thunderstorm...that's it. There wasn't a possibility of deadly tornadoes. It was a feeling of security I guess is the correct term I'm looking for. If you know anything about me, the first sign of storms hit and I'm texting my parents, "Weather?" It’s the unknowing that freaks me. If I were able to just know without having the angst of needing to be prepared, I’d be so much better off. It really isn’t the storm that scares me. I stood outside yesterday while quarter size hail fell from the sky. Raeann and I watched clouds that I swear had circulation; it was fascinating, but the unknowing was torture. It’s been a weird day today.

Here I go talking about Denmark.

I miss the carefree.
I miss the weather.
I miss the practically liquid yogurt.
I miss the strawberries.
I miss the whiteness of decors.
I miss Nanna Ellegaard.
I miss gawking at her mother’s art.
I miss the simplicity of it.
I miss the mall.
I miss hearing Danish and guessing what it meant.
I miss hearing Coke referred to as Cola.
I miss figuring Danish money to American money.
I miss the country.

I was literally there three weeks, a few days of which were spent in London, and I fell in love with a country. Nanna was in America for a year and I cannot even begin to fathom what that was like; leaving anyway. I was taken by the heartstrings in three weeks. I’m sure my heart would have been completely consumed has I stayed any longer. Denmark is a country that I don’t think I’d ever get bored with. I barely saw any of it! I can’t wait until I’m able to return.

So now, I sit outside on my porch swing finishing this blog. It’s 72 degrees, the first day of June, and I couldn’t be happier. This day has been gorgeous despite the nasty clouds yesterday. I miss Denmark but for today, Tonkawa is doing alright.

Stay Classy San Diego,
                            Holly Joy